Friday, April 24, 2009

A mystery unfolding..The Bennetts

Here is my mom and dad when they were engadged. ...
Here is my dad when he graduated....
Here is my dad's mom ....
And here is my dad's dad...
This is pretty much all that I knew about my dad's side of the family. I never knew my dad's dad or my dad's mom as my grandparents.
They divorced when my dad was little and my dad spent some of his childhood with each of them but also had to spend some time living with other relatives. My dad lost touch with his parents and anyone else on his side of the family.

Now the exciting news.

My dad has been working on his geneology and in just a few weeks time, he was able to get into contact with some other Bennetts who have been filling in the blank spots my dad had in his geneology. As they helped eachother fill in the blanks, my dad received an e-mail from another family member who expressed how the family has often wondered where he was and how they missed him and were so happy to have found him again. Not only was that exciting to him and all of us, but we learned that The Bennetts are a very close knit family that have reunions every two years! In my family growing up, we never had reunions. We know my mom's side of the family but we never really got together that much. The closest thing to a reunion that I've been to was my grandma's 87 birthday. All her brothers and sisters came and some other people that I never remember seeing before.

So, I bet you can imagine how exciting this all is to all of us. Hey now our family is like other peoples families that have reunions. My family just doubled in size! I can't wait to meet all these people and learn more about The Bennetts.

This June is the the Bennett reunion and we are going!! We're flying to Oklahoma and meeting my parents and sister there to meet for the first time my dad's side of the family!!!!!!!! (I really wish you could be there Holly and Greg)
I think we will have so much fun meeting people and doing the activities they have planned. They said that they love to have water fights every year and this year we are going kayaking and getting some kayaking lessons. FUn!!

I'm so glad that my dad has been working on his geneology. What a blessing we are all recieving because of his efforts! Thankyou Dad!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Holly said...

Yeah, that is so neat. I feel pretty left out to not be able to go...I'm hoping for the next one we will go. By then Greg will be graduated and have a "real" job. I'll be in school still, but I probably won't have to work on top of school like it is now. Anyway, I think Dad should write his story and send it to the Ensign! I'm sure they would print it!

Kaela said...

Congratulations! There is something so special about family- extended or immediate. I am so excited for you to get to meet them too. What a testimony of genealogy work!!

Wendy Jean said...

I'm glad you did this post! I was wanting to do something like this. You did it better than what I had planned. :) I can't wait to go in June!!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ How exciting for your family!!! I agree with Holly your dad should write up his story and send it in! Congrats on your new conections! :)

Our Deli-Sub said...

Your mom looks like an angle in the engagement picture. I hope you guys all have a great time!

Ethatch said...

Wow! That is great news! Congrats to you all Bennett family. Sounds like they're all as excited to meet you too--what family fun! Have a great time! Next year you'll be able to make a big splash again to bring Holly and Greg with you!
Love this blog thing--I never would have known this otherwise and it brightened my day.
Love you all,
Marge

Anonymous said...

Its 3:00 a.m. and I can't think of any jokes about my wife being an angle. All I can do is sit here and laugh. I need to go back to bed.