I loved our visit to Nauvoo. There is so much history I just didn't know about. I need to go back when the kids are older so I can pick up on all that I missed.
So I didn't know that the mormons were hated and feared for economical and political reasons.
I'm horrible at re-telling stories so I'm not going to even try. It's all in my head but when I try to form it into words, I somehow get things mixed up into a jumbled mess. sorry, you'll just have to look up the history yourself.
we got to go on a covered wagon ride (it was freezing) while the sister missionairies told us stories.
Carthage was also very neat and eye opening to me. Oscar is holding a replica of the keys to the jail.
pictured above is the door to the downstairs jail room.
This is the upstairs jail room.
amazingly, the original door is still there! this is the hole created by the shot that was fired at Joseph sending him out the window from the second floor.
pictured above is where the prophet fell beside the well.
The jail was a home to the jailer and his family. This was where they were keep people awaiting their court date.
I have gained a better appreciation for Joseph and Emma Smith along with the rest of the pioneers from visiting these places. It is just amazing what they sacrificed and accomplished in their lifetime. They dedicated their lives to the work of the Lord.
These visits have sparked my interest in church history more than ever! I want to know more and more and more. I love that I can talk with the kids about the scriptures and then say, "remember when we were there?" like in palmayra in the sacred grove.
3 comments:
I'm glad you enjoyed Nauvoo! It is an amazing and beautiful place!
Abby
So so so so so so cool!!! I love that you got to see these sites. Thanks for sharing. Hope I can find a way to go someday too:)
I love seeing all these pictures. I want to go there, either in spring or autumn. That wagon ride looks fun. But brrrr....gimme hot stones all wrapped up with blankets.
Post a Comment