Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Home-made Graham Crackers

Here's how they turned out.
My sister, Wendy sent this recipe to me. When I make these again though, I'll roll the dough out thinner. These were thick graham crackers. I made chocolate frosting and made sandwhiches with them and stuck them in the freezer for a late night snack. Yum!
I think this recipe is worth sharing, so here ya go!

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt.

Cream shortening and brown sugar. Stir in vanilla. Combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into the cream mixture alternately with milk. Cover and chill dough till firm. On lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8" thick. Cut into rectangles. Place 1/2" apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or till edges look golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

5 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

My kids love graham crackers. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Kaela said...

Wow, I have never heard of homemade graham crackers- sounds yummy. For some reason the pictures don't show up for me, but I will definately have to try these. Would they be good as s'mores?? I love s'mores:)

Kaela said...

You're new header and background are so GREAT! Your header is so funny- hahah:D Cute, cute, cute!

Anonymous said...

I love your picture Summer! That's great!

TESTIMONIAL: Once you try homemade graham cookies, you'll hate the ones they sell in the store.

Holly said...

I'm glad you put the recipe up. I was telling Greg how Wendy made graham crackers and he thought that was weird...didn't know you could do that. They look good though. I always like them kind of soft anyway.