Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Huckle Berries

This past weekend just our little family hung out together. We went on a bike ride that was really fun. But right at the last part, about half a mile to the end, Glen's tire went flat. So we pulled over and pumped it up real quick. Right when he took off again, then his chain broke. So he hopped on my bike to go get the truck while I waited on the side of the road with Ginger.
Of course as soon as he left, my imagination started working and I started rehearsing in my mind what I would do if a bear came or if a mountain lion came. Would I leave Ginger in the bike trailer hoping the aluminum bars would somehow frustrate a bear or would I take her out and run down the road and hope a car comes by? Well, in the middle of contemplating this, Glen came back with the truck and then we rode home and lived happily ever after...actually, we rode home, grabbed some KFC and then went up to pick huckleberries in the mountains.
We also took the dogs with us so no bears, lions or badgers could sneak up on us.

Ginger loves eating the berries. Once in a while she'll put one in the bucket.

This time we got about a gallon and a half. The next day we made huckle berry waffles. yum!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Granma Faye said...

I love going out to pick berries! Huckleberries don't have stickers, do they? That's the only problem with blackberries but it's so nice to get a bunch in the freezer and for FREE. They cost alot in the store! Gingi looks so cute "helping."

Granma Faye said...

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention--you and your funny imagination! That made me smile to read about you imagining a bear or a mountain lion appearing on the road. Makes me think of that book, "Goin' on a Bear Hunt"...but I'm not afraid. Hahaha : )

Ali said...

I do that all the time- I imagine worst case scenarios and try and figure out what I'd do...it's always good to be prepared! But other times, I know it's best to just not worry and enjoy the moment. It's a hard balance to find though! That's a good ending to your story :)

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I would have been a little jumpy too! I'm glad everything ended well! :)

Holly said...

Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about. My imagination always runs wild when I'm alone, and especially when it's dark outside. I hate going from the car to the house by myself after mutual. Silly huh. It looks like you had fun though. Ginger will be an expert huckleberry picker as she grows up. That's cute that she likes to pick the berries now. =)