Sunday, October 26, 2008

How to make a pinata

Blow up a balloon. rip up a bunch of newspaper. mix up a cup of flour with a cup and a half of water to make the glue. Cover the balloon with oil and then put a layer of newspaper and flour gue on the balloon. wait 24 hours and then put on another layer. Do this three times. Then make a whole big enough to put candy in and pop the balloon. Then decorate as disired.
This was a messy and very time consuming project....mostly because of the way I chose to decorate it. It was fun and satisfying though to see it turn out.
I painted it black and then used tissue paper squares and wound them around my pencil (like in kindergarten) and glued them to the spider body. Then I found this foam thing that is used for a sink and spray painted it black. I hot glue gunned the head and pipe cleanser on. The eyes and mouth are made from heavy weight pellon (left over from my quiet book).
Here's the spider. Glen teased me about all the time I've put into it this is going to be crushed with just one swing of a bat. :(
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Summer that's the coolest pinata I've ever seen! And I love Ginger's outfit. You are so talented.

Angela said...

That is so awesome!! I am once again impressed by your craftiness!! :) Grant teases me about stuff like that too. :)

Wendy Jean said...

That looks really good! I'm impressed! I love the spider's face.

Holly said...

Oooo! That's a scary spider! Cool looking! What a neat idea! I want to do that...but it would just be me and Greg hitting it, and then we'd have a bunch of candy...and then it seems easier to just put the candy in the candy dish. HAhaha! I bet your party-goers appreciated it. Pinatas are fun!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Very nice! That's a lot of work!!! :)

Granma Faye said...

Pretty cool lookin' spider, Sum. I like it! ♥

Kaela said...

I was thinking of doing one of these and making it look like a pumpkin for fun. For some reason I haven't felt like pumpkin carving this year. I don't think I will get around to the pinata either, but your spider looks GREAT:)