Monday, January 19, 2009

house plans

A few nights ago Glen and I finally went over a bunch of house plans we've had in mind and fine tuned it to this. Here is the house plan that we think we want to go with. Tell me your ideas and what you think! We had to design it keeping in mind that Scot might have to live with us in this one too, (hopefully not though...we'll see how things go. It would be nice to have our own place, but I guess I should be glad we are out of an RV and apartment.)
We will build some time this year..not sure when..depends on work schedule.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Looks great! My only "wish" would be to have a family room & living room... :)

Holly said...

Yeah, I like that layout. I like the wood stove, and I like having the bar between the kitchen and dining room. That's kind of nice to have separate closets for him and her. They you don't have to worry if your husband is messy or leaves his clothes on the ground...like someone I know...We share a closet and there is a dresser in the closet in the middle. That kind of helps the gym bag and rackets and shoes not grow too much onto my side.
I'm excited to see your new house! We'll have to come and visit again when it's done =)

Kaela said...

I virtually walked myself through your house and was loving it!!! Then I read your mom's comment and thought- oh yeah, that would be really nice. My dream house has always had a nice living area, then one that could be a big play/entertainment room. Other than that- it look so awesome! How fun to be able to do this for yourself!!!

Anonymous said...

Tons for closets! I like the set up of the bedrooms sharing a bathroom too. One thing I wondered about (I hate to even say it because you two know way more about this stuff than I ever will) but why is the dishwasher on the wall further from the dining room? It seems like it would be better to put the dishes right in off of the counter. Oh, I like the washer and dryer placement too. Hose the kids off in the garage and dump their clothes off on the way in the house.)

Greg said...

I think we share some common priorities on floor plans, I like it. And, since I firmly believe that the only reason people post things on the internet is for me to criticize...

...I was thinking about how to make bdr2 bigger. I know square footage is money, but consider this: Bringing the room out to meet the front wall of the house will probably add the cheapest square footage possible. You increase costs by adding square footage, but you also cut costs by eliminating two outside corners. The perimeter of the house would stay the same, so you would have net savings on siding, sheeting and framing, and labor for foundation, stem wall, plumbing and electrical. Also the labor for framing - making one longer wall instead of three shorter ones. Foundation, flooring and roofing would be more because of the increased square footage, but less because of the elimination of the two corners (this changes the roof-scape a lot). I don't know enough about the business to know if you'd have net savings or not, but it would probably be the cheapest square footage you could add.

On the other hand the recessed wall section gives the house more curb appeal, increasing the retail value?

I don't know how you make an estimate on a house, or how loans work. I don't know if the savings for this modifications are even calculable.