Tuesday, January 27, 2009

No more thumb sucking. . .

Ginger loves her thumb, however, a few months ago, a dentist advised me to stop her thumb sucking immediatly because she sucked too hard and it was shaping the roof of her mouth. Well, I didn't want to make her stop right when I was going to have Jack for fear of her regressing. So, I finally decided that this week I would work on getting her to not suck her thumb. I've been dreading this for a long time. I wondered how I was to teach her that after all this time, it was okay for her to such her thumb and now all of a sudden it's not.

My resolve? I had an idea. I painted her nails. When she went to suck her thumb, I told her it would be bad to do that since her nails are so pretty. She gave me this look like, "That wasn't part of the deal" it was so funny but nevertheless, it worked! She hasn't sucked her thumb.

Then, last night, after being put in her crib, she went to suck her thumb out of habit but to my pleasant surprise, she stopped herself and looked at her nails and then put her thumb down. hahhaha I'm so glad that I didn't have to turn to cayenne pepper or sewing sockes on her sleeves.

Pretty nails!
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Right on!!! Yay that it worked and she's so dang cute!!! :)

Holly said...

HAHahahhahhaah! That's so funny. I can't believe how good she is to discipline herself and not suck her thumb because of the nail polish. That's pretty impressive. I think I would have said, "Who cares." and just sucked my thumb anyway. I guess you can just keep painting her nails until she forgets about sucking her thumb. Haha, then one day when she's about 10 she'll realize she doesn't have nail polish on and she can FINALLY suck her thumb again! HAhahaha!
How funny. I hope I have a girl as cute as Ginger. =)

Anonymous said...

Wow Summer, that was a smart trick! And a lot nicer than telling her she'd get arrested if she sucked her thumb again.

The Muries said...

That was a smart way to do it. You are very creative. Good thing she is a girl, I wouldn't try that on Jack.

Teija said...

YAY! WHat a good idea, I am so surprised that it worked, what a good little girl and so cute too!

Granma Faye said...

Yeah, Wendy's method was a little brutal, telling Summer the cops would come haul her off to jail but it worked! All along I thought it was my tactics that finally did the trick. : ) It was years later I found out the truth. Smart thinkin' Summer, appealing to Gingi's desire to have pretty nails. As usual, she looks darling. ♥

Kaela said...

Her little painted nails are adorable! I LOVE your new blog design AGAIN! I am so impressed!!! I LOVE President Monson's and President Hinckley's quotes on the side too!

Beth said...

I LOVE your header Summer!!! How'd you do that? And painting her finger nails was so inspired! Way to go!!!

Granma Faye said...

Sweet, sweet little Ginger. Blue eyes, blonde hair, and red nails! Love that girl! ♥