When I was helping my dad unload wood, we found this weird bug. It is a light baby blue and black striped thing. Has anyone ever seen this or know the name?
OK, curiosity got the best of me and I googled "beetle pictures" and eventually, a couple of clicks later on related links, I finally got a picture of your specimen. It is a type of longhorn beetle called the Banded Alder Borer. It is considered harmless, unlike some of the other longhorn beetles that kill several varieties of hard wood trees. (Those kind hitched a ride on cargo from China and have invaded the US forests. They're bad news.) But our little beetle just bores into the bark of dead trees and lays its eggs. It also likes paint and shows up when people are painting their houses, etc. Weird,huh. So much for trivia. : ) ♥
5 comments:
OK, curiosity got the best of me and I googled "beetle pictures" and eventually, a couple of clicks later on related links, I finally got a picture of your specimen. It is a type of longhorn beetle called the Banded Alder Borer. It is considered harmless, unlike some of the other longhorn beetles that kill several varieties of hard wood trees. (Those kind hitched a ride on cargo from China and have invaded the US forests. They're bad news.) But our little beetle just bores into the bark of dead trees and lays its eggs. It also likes paint and shows up when people are painting their houses, etc. Weird,huh. So much for trivia. : ) ♥
Yeah, I was thinking it was some kind of beetle but I've never seen that. How interesting. You should have kept it as a pet!
Crazy! This is my first siting too :) It looks like it came out of a children's book like it shouldn't really exist in real life.
♥ Very interesting! I've never seen it before either... I read your mom's comment and that's crazy that it came all the way from china! :)
Wow that is a crazy looking bug. I have never seen that.
Post a Comment