Wednesday, January 05, 2011

I'm really not THAT creative

Yes, I like to draw and I used to all the time when I was a teenager. I hadn't for a long time and one of my new year goals is to spend some time getting back into it. I've never been able to draw that well using my imagination. However, if I have something to look at, I do better and enjoy trying to draw what other people have done themselves. I used to pick pictures out of books that I liked and try to draw them.

So, Ali, I hope you aren't disappointed to find out that none of these drawings came from my own imagination. :) Maybe I changed a few things here and there, but other than that, I'm just not that creative. The above picture was drawn for my neice Heidi whose birthday was yesturday. I made it into a Birthday Card. After I did that, i thought it would be fun to scan it and play with it in Photoshop and the result is my new Header. :)

These other pictures were also found off the internet. I guess it's kind of obvious that I didn't trace these. I hope to one day get good enough to where people won't be able to tell the difference between the original and mine.





Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Angela said...

Well, I'm impressed! That is a talent I wish I had! And I love your new FHE board! Adorable!

Elizabeth C said...

Great job! I really enjoy drawing too. That is fun that you are finding some time to get to do the things that you enjoy! :)

Granma Faye said...

I'm so glad you're drawing again! You definitely have a talent for it, Summer. Those all look good to me--especially the turtle. So cute!

Holly said...

It's definitely talent, even if you didn't think up the picture all by yourself. And plus, your versions that you drew are much cuter!

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me how someone like Summer, who has no talent, can produce such cute drawings, create beautiful birthday cakes, decorate her home so nicely, whip together a perfect cherry pie in minutes with all the effort I put into assembling a bowl of cereal, sew cute things for her little princess, become the sheet metal shop favorite on-site sketch artist, draw the plans for building her house (accepted on the first submittal with no changes required by the county!), play the piano, teach spin class, expertly edit photos in PhotoShop, etc.

Ali said...

Ok, so you had some inspiration...but you still ran with it in an awesome way! You are THAT creative. I would have to trace these to get even close, and even then, they'd look kind of funny I'm sure. I hope to see more drawing projects- you are really good...do your kiddos love to draw??

Ethatch said...

Awesome Summer...you ARE that GOOD! Isn't creativity fun? Whatever form it takes, it makes a person who seems to be forever buried in mundane repetitive tasks--feel refreshed, valued and happy. (I agree with your dad...no talent? Look again, creative mom of 3 sweet little ones.)

Kaela said...

So cute Summer!! This post reminds me of when I was in second grade and I was star of the week... the teacher asked me what my special talent was and I said, "copying." I meant tracing and drawing things I saw, but it came out sounding really bad:) Ha!! Anyway- you are so good and I am so glad you are making time to do it. I'm sure your kids appreciate their homemade beautiful things that you are able to come up with. I think it is so fun to be able to customize everything you do by making it and creating it just how you want it!! LOVE your fhe board!!! Keep it up and keep posting your creations- LOVE THEM!!!!!!

Linda said...

Well Summer I could look at a picture all day long and still could not draw a likeness that anyone could identify it with.
I agree with your Dad, you have lots of talent and with that talent a love and caring heart that shows up in your renditions. Your drawings are just awesome. Keep expanding your creativity in different mediums, it will keep you feeling good about yourself and your accomplishments as a person as well as a mother and a wife.

Wendy Jean said...

I'm so glad you're drawing again! Heidi's card is cute! I'm keeping it and hopefully I can find a little frame for it. :) Thank you! I love Dad's comment.