You may ask, why the change of heart? Well, eversince I saw the kids play with this mini autralian shepard at the river, I've been thinking about what it would be like to have a smaller dog for the kids. It was fun to watch them play with the dog. Having a good experience with a well behaved and well trained dog helped me see things in another light.
The other thing that helped me change my mind is that one day when the kids came in from playing outside, Ginger told me about some people that were talking to her. I'm pretty sure it was the old lady on the other side of our fence, but that got me thinking about how friendly the kids are getting and how easy it could be for a stranger to watch from the sidewalk how often I go outside to check on the kids etc. Getting a dog for the kids to play with in the backyard makes me feel better about them playing out there when I'm inside. soooooooooo, Let me introduce to you:
Chester Chandler! He is 10 weeks old. He is a Welsh Corgi. Welsh Corgi's are really neat dogs. They are herding dogs and also have been used to guard children. They are supposed to be a really good family dog. I had one as a kid and loved it! They are short and stout but strong. I think they are perfect for little kids if you want a smaller dog, but not one that is fragile and will break if they fall on top of him or something. They are supposed to live 11 to 14 years.
Jack and Chester have bonded really well. Jack just loves him. Ginger does too, but she was a little nervous from time to time. Eversince getting Chester, we all have been outside alot more. I love that the kids want to go play and I don't have to "make" them go play.
I know these dogs do shed and that was something that drove me crazy about Kiah. With this dog, I'm assuming responsibility for keeping it bathed and brushed (which kiah got a bath once a year and was never brushed!) I want the kids to know what it takes to "really" care for a pet . I'll give it a bath the same day the kids get a bath. (Did you know that you can just use baby shampoo for your puppy?)
WE love this dog. We love it's temperament. It's so calm and good with the kids. I didn't want one that is always bouncing off the walls. We take him everywhere. We just took him up to washington with us and we take him to the grocerie store, and we'll take him to the parks once he gets his little puppy parvo shots.
Puppies are so cute but high maintenance. WE decided it's best to keep this little guy in the kitchen, garage and outside so it doesn't chew up the entire house! Luckily by the end of the year he should be over his chewing stage.


5 comments:
That puppy looks cute! Is it the same kind of dog that Sheba was? Do you remember telling me that Sheba was made into cat food, because we saw those cat food commercials that's called Sheba? Haha. Anyway, I'm glad the kids like to play with the dog. That's fun for them, and probably helpful to you so you don't have to spend your time entertaining them as much. It's kind of fun to think that you might keep this dog until Ginger is in high school.
Wow, you and Kaela joined the dog owning ranks by surprise to us all in this last month!:) Congratulations. He's a cutie...and I bet the kids will just love love love him. I can't wait until the day we can do that for our family too!
I'm so glad he is working out for you guys:) He is really cute!!! I think the key to getting a good family dog is timing, set up, and making sure he is a good family type dog! So happy for you!!!!
Your little dog is cute! I'm glad he is working out for your family. I'm amazed you have the patience for it along with all your other responsibilities. You're kids are so lucky they have you for a mom. :)
The picture of Gretchen on one side of the barrier and Chester on the other cracks me up. I just know that little doggins wants to be by Gretchen! Cute and double cute!
Post a Comment