Friday, May 06, 2011

Singing at Stake Conference

I don't think I shared this little story on the blog yet, so I'll start at the beginning and try to keep it short.

I came across a song a couple years ago that I just loved and dreamt of singing in sacrament meeting. It's an old american hymn called "Whispering Hope". Turns out that it is one of my gramma's favorites. Anyway, two years went by and I finally mustered up enough courage to get with a pianist and start practicing for the big day. Little did I know that Ginger was paying close attention and had learned the song. I found her one day in the kitchen singing the song just as I had so many times before. Then thought came to mind. "How cute would it be for her to sing the first verse". We were two weeks away from the big day. We went to the church and practiced twice. She did great at the practice...singing nicely and not to close to the mic and all that. I didn't know if she would actually go through with it once infront of the whole ward. Turns out she did just great. She smiled and stayed the calm the whole time singing.
Later that week she recieved two cards in the mail from ward members. That was a big deal to Ginger. Because of that she has gone on to sing at her Gramma and Grampas mission farewell (with the hopes of getting more cards in the mail). The choir director in their ward loved her and asked if she would sing for Stake Conference. I told her if she sent Ginger a card in the mail asking her, that she would have better chances of her agreeing to sing again. So she did just that and with me telling her that we love to hear her sing and that if she does again, she might get more cards, she agreed to sing at stake conference.

Ginger sang the first verse to "Teach me to walk in the light" and then I sang the second verse. (we couldn't convince Glen to sing with us on the third verse)

Elder Chambers from the seventy was there and met Ginger. It took a few minutes for her to warm up to him but she was soon telling him about her little My little Pony and about the dress that Gramma Faye gave her. :)

Today Ginger received a letter from Elder Chambers. It wasn't a "pretty" card, but the words were beautiful and it was mail and for that, she was excited.


Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Granma Faye said...

What a sweet experience and such nice pictures with Elder Chambers. Someday, Ginger will really appreciate looking at the pictures and reading his special letter written just for her. You look beautiful, Summer. Glad you're making use of that pretty jacket. The color is great on you. Thanks for sharing this entry.

Kaela said...

How neat!!!!! I wish I could have seen you both sing! And I love that you know just how to work her... with letters! Awesome!! Maybe I will have Kaden send Ginger a letter. Ginger still has an elite friend status in Kaden's mind- she's right up there with his favorite cousin's:) Hopefully we can see you guys again this summer when/if we go to Oregon.

Ali said...

Now Way!! That is the sweetest story ever! I'm so sad I'm not in your stake...I'm sure I would bawl tears of happiness seeing her sing. That is adorable that she loves the letters and will do so much for them!

Wendy Jean said...

That is so cool that Elder Chambers wrote to Ginger. Maybe someday you will hear her name in a General Conference talk. :)