Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Our Halloween Bash!



This is one of my favorite pics. The pioneer girl holding up her dress to race to get the candy!

I was pretty proud for how long my pinata held up! I was afraid it would go down at the first wack, but all the kids took a turn on it before it went down. :)

We had a halloween party at our house last friday. It was pretty fun. Despite missing a few families due to a ward activity the same night, we had a good turn out! Melinda came early that day to help decorate and help set up games for adults and kids. We cleared the garage and made that the kids area with a coloring station and pinata. We also had a witch hunt game for them that they were all pretty excited about. ( we hid 40 witch hats all over the place that we cut out of this thick foam like paper) Each kid went home with candy from the pinata and a little baggy of candy that I made up in case some didn't get as much from the pinata.
Ginger did really good the whole time. She was excited to have so many people around. After we all played a game of Candy Corn Catch, I found Ginger walking around with her mouth so stuffed with candy corn that she couldn't close her mouth around it all. hahahah She looked so funny. Of course I was worried she'ld choke on it, so Glen had to pry it out of her mouth. She wasn't too happy about that.
As each family arrived with their scary fingerfood platter, Nelli took their family picture infront of the 'wall cling' that we set up. They also entered their name in for a "mystery drawing" and voted for their favorite costume.
We had dry ice to add to our root beer bowl and made "baked slugs" (chocolate chips rolled up and melted in croissants) and colorful rice krispie treats (made with dino bite cereal).
While the kids were busy popping balloons in the garage, us adults played a game. The first part of the game was to read a short story (I had my dad write up the story) then the second part of the game was to help the "detectives" out by identifying body parts . Glen and I passed around bags that the players had to reach in without looking and guess what was in the bag. example.: the bag that supposedly contained the heart was actually a peeled tomatoe and the bag that supposedly contained the liver was actually cut up spam etc. I know, kinda gross but fun! :)
Melinda planned the other game which included the 'mystery drawing'. She drew out six names and those people had to stand infront of a pan full of oatmeal with little plastic rings hidden in it. For 30 seconds the players raced to get as many rings out with their teeth as possible and the rest of us watched and cheered them on. They were all good sports for being willing to get their face all messy with oatmeal. Good job guys!!!
The Hassingers won first place prize in the costume contest dressed up as cavemen and Glen and I won second place dressed as clowns.


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ You guys are so fun! :)

Granma Faye said...

Oh, that's so fun to see the pictures! I'm glad you got them posted. I love all the costumes and colors. It looks like a fun evening. Good games and something for everyone. I especially love that clown family--but then, I'm a little bit prejudiced. :) ♥

Holly said...

That looks like fun! I wish I could have been there! I don't think I'd want to do the oatmeal thing though. Well, mostly it'd be a problem if you had a lot of make-up/face paint on. That would really be gross! Your little clown family looks pretty cute though! You should put Dad's story up. I'm curious what it is!

Dave, Arielle, Grayson and Ashlynn said...

What great costumes you made- they look fantastic!! Looks like the party was a blast!

Ali said...

Your costumes are great! I am impressed that you made all three matching and themed. So great. Your party looks like it was a hit too!

Carrissa Hellewell said...

What a great party! Sounds like it was a ton of fun! Loved the costumes!

Kaela said...

Wowzers! You really pulled out all the stops at your party!! That looks like a LOT of work and EVEN MORE FUN!!! How fun to have pictures with that great back drop. All the food and games sound so great too! Wish I could have been there to 'clown' around with you (love your costumes). WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Elizabeth C said...

That was so much fun! We had a great time! I still am soo amazed by all of the oatmeal eaters!! They are brave!!

Ethatch said...

No wonder you were a 2 on monday, with all the work and excitement of your party the friday before!! Is this a new 'go into labor trick?'--plan and pull off a big party!! Looks like a fun time for all--love the clown costumes! Looking forward to baby pic's soon!
Marge Thatcher

Beth said...

What a fun party and I love your costumes! So cute! Not much longer Summer and you'll have your sweet baby! How exciting!