Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Gretchens Stocking

It's our tradition that each family member gets a custom made stocking, one of kind,...there is no other stocking like it in the world! :) So I went to the fabric section of walmart (since we don't have a Jo-Anns) and just looked around until one stuck out to me. I saw this friendship Mary Englebret fabric and knew it was destined to become a stocking for Gretchen. :) I am really happy with how it turned out.
Check out the big flower! It's a red zipper rolled up. How clever is that! I thought it was perfect for the whole Mary Englebret theme.
I love making stockings. I feel comfortable to really get creative and daring instead of going along with my more ' well, this is what I like, but this is what is "in" or what everyone else would appreciate better' decision. So, here it is. I felt daring to get the flashy fabric for the heel and toe, but I'm glad I did because it is sooo pretty and I can't wait to hang it by the tree where the christmas lights reflect off it and really bring out the rainbow colors.
* here is just a side note. This is what happened today. I heard a big crackeling crunching sound and ran to the office to see out my window a car driving down our road after losing control and driving up on the sidewalk smashing the stop sign flat and the street sign smashed. Better the stop sign than our house!


Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Holly said...

I'm glad you posted that. We forgot to look at the fabric when I was there. I really like how that turned out. Cute! I bet she will love it. That's a cool idea with the zipper too. It goes perfect!

And wow, I'm glad they hit the stop sign instead of your house too. That would be kind of scary! There's a house in Bremerton where the cars would always go too fast and slide into the person's house, so they put in a big post for the cars to run in to instead of their house. In Pullman somebody put a big red reflector on the tree in their yard because people were driving into their yard too. The road curves and goes over a hill, but if you're not paying attention it looks like it should go into that yard by the tree.
Hopefully there aren't any more accidents near your house!

Anonymous said...

You should put a big rock on the corner. Then when people crash into it, you can run out and see if they have anything good to eat in their car and grab it before they wake up.

Granma Faye said...

Gretchen's stocking is so pretty. Love the zipper "flower"! How did you come up with that idea?!!! I like the sparkly, shiny heel and toe, too. Really, really cute all the way around. Great job, Summer! Such a nice family tradition to make each family member a unique Christmas stocking. They'll treasure them forever!

Oops, the poor people that ended up mowing down the street signs! Yikes! Your ice-covered street looks treacherous. Be super careful out there--walking and driving.

Granma Faye said...

P.S. Who needs to run out and grab treats from unconscious travelers? You have lots of yummy treats right inside your house--as evidenced in the pictures below! : ) But... a big rock strategically placed might be good home insurance. Funny DaddyPies!

Wendy Jean said...

I like the stocking! Makes me want to sew some for my family. I've looked around for a stocking for Heidi but I haven't found one I liked. Guess she gets the "baby" stocking again this year.

I like Dad's idea of the rock. Funny!

Ali said...

Cute little stocking! Ya, my Grandma in AZ doesn't have a fabric store either and she makes BEAUTIFUL quilts with the fabric she finds at walmart! Who would have thought?! Some walmarts have GREAT selections...ours, not so much.

That's crazy about that car/sign wreck! You're right- knock on wood that it isn't EVER your house!

Ethatch said...

Love your creativity, once again! Tell them to put that stop sign back up in a hurry so it catches any other cars that may stray....and I like the BIG rock idea for extra protection too.

Kaela said...

Cute stocking!! Crafting should always be tapping into your own creativity rather than going with the trends- that's what makes it so fun!!! I looove the cute apron sets above too!! You are quite the seamstress:) Keep up the good, fun, and oh-so-cute work!!

Are You Serious! said...

Love the stocking! I love Mary Engelbrite!!!